09 November 2006

Two New Books

Picked up two new books in the last 2 days.

Reformed Expository Commentary: Hebrews . Phillips, Richard D. P&R: 2006.
Countering the Claims of Evangelical Feminism. Grudem, Wayne. Multnomah: 2006.

Fresh off the press for both of them. The Hebrews commentary is excellent and I would recommend it to anyone studying Hebrews. Especially preachers. A quick excerpt from his commentary on chapter 2:1-4 of Hebrews,

"We should fear to be separated from the anchor of God's Word, or to have any other hand on the wheel of our lives than the Captain of our salvation, who speaks in the Bible. To drift away is ultimately to invite the judgment God will inflict on those who neglect His saving message in Jesus Christ."

Grudem's book is equally as good. I haven't read any of it (I bought it 10 minutes ago) but this is what some of the men that blurbed it said,

"After the Bible, I cannot imagine a more useful book for finding reliable help in understanding God's will for manhood and womanhood in the church and the home" -John Piper

"This book belongs in the hands of every pastor, seminary student, and thinking layperson" -R. Albert Mohler Jr.

I have come to realize that generalizing when it comes to writing is a pretty solid way to buy books. If Rob Bell or Don Miller blurb a book, I either don't bother or know whats coming. Likewise when John Piper and Al Mohler both blurb on a book, it might be worth picking up. I don't have a very vast knowledge of who is who in this world but I know and trust both of them so it is well worth the money. I'll review both of those as I go along.

For Our Majestic God,
Ryan Thompson

No comments: