06 October 2008

Calvin on Providence

Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion is a gold mine that I think we belittle and ignore too much. Just listen to Calvin on Providence,
"Yet, when that light of divine providence has once shone upon a godly man, he is then relieved and set free not only from the extreme anxiety and fear that were pressing him before, but from every care. For as he justly dreads fortune, so he fearlessly dares commit himself to God. His solace, I say, is to know that his Heavenly Father so holds all things in his power, so rules by his authority and will, so governs by his wisdom, that nothing can befall except he determine it. Moreover, it comforts him to know that he has been received into God's safekeeping and entrusted to the care of his angels, and that neither water, nor fire, nor iron can harm him, except in so far as it pleases God as governor to give them occasion."
People bash the doctrine of the sovereignty of God but I say that sovereignty is an eminently practical and wonderful doctrine to rest in because it means that ultimately God is genuinely in control. No Open Theist or Arminian (not equating those two don't worry) has this comfort so deeply or so joyously.

Loving Our Wonderful God With You,

R.D. Thompson

3 comments:

Ryan said...

thanks Ryan =)

Jefferson Twillsbury said...

:: WHAAA! I just emailed them for my copy! Wow...that's amazing. I felt kind of guilty doing it, but they must have a bunch and want to give them away...so...OK!

:: I just make my photos about 20px smaller than my text space and they fit in there just fine.

:: And I believe this is the 1st, not the 1,000,000th, time you've asked me about the name. I made it up three years ago for a story David Kern was writing. I liked it so much that I kind of adopted it as my alias. That's all.

:: Also - i need to catch up on your blogs! I haven't been checking them for a while, since you haven't been posting. Now I'm behind!

=)

~Gp

Anonymous said...

Good words.