30 December 2008

The Song of Hiawatha

I read Evangeline this month and fell immediately in love with Longfellow. He is dramatically overlooked. Frost gets too much credit as the premier American author. No one, no one I have ever read, conveys the spirit and sense of the American idyllic landscape like Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. I would not know or care about poetry if it were not for this man.

This is a spiritual blog right? So why am I talking about poetry? Christians need to reclaim good poetry and song-writing. We, of all people, should know and have the deepest and most dramatic feelings for the things God has made. We should love the creation and be fluent in praising God for it, because it was His idea. Good verse, for some reason I don't understand yet, communicates the beautiful and the terrible stronger even than does good prose.

This said, I just finished The Song of Hiawatha. It is a poem I heartily recommend. It is a beautiful and intricate introduction into the idolatrous workings of the American Indians and, in a way, communicates the tragedy of our having destroyed them. It is also a masterpiece of idyllic writing taking place next to Lake Superior (Gitche Gumee) and basically throughout America. Passages like this are what made me fall in love with poetry,
"By the shore of Gitche Gummee,
By the shining Big-Sea-Water,
At the doorway of his wigwam,
In the pleasant Summer morning,
Hiawatha stood and waited.
All the air was full of freshness,
All the earth was bright and joyous,
And before him, through the sunshine,
Westward toward the neighboring forest,
Passed in golden swarms the Ahmo,
Passed the bees, the honey-makers,
Burning, singing, in the sunshine.
Bright above him shone the heavens,
Level spread the lake before him;
From its bosom leaped the sturgeon,
Sparkling, flashing in the sunshine;
On its margin the great forest
Stood reflected in the water,
Every tree top had its shadow,
Motionless beneath the water."
Incredible. This reflects every sense and every emotion I have ever felt in the wilderness of the Great Lakes and pushes down into my deepest thoughts with its beautiful meter and rythmic explanations. I have seen the fish glisten in sunshine, the bees buzz through the forest, and felt the summer morning fresh in its new dawning. We ought to re-embrace poetry of this sort and claim it for the glory of God. We ought to write poetry that makes people say, "I've been there," and long to be there again.

Soli Deo Gloria,

R. D. Thompson

8 comments:

Hannah said...

I love this poem. Longfellow really does do a marvelous job painting a picture with words. It's simply wonderful.

I'm in full support of people reading and writing poetry. There is so much crud being written these days not only in prose but also in poetry as well. We really need someone (or several someones) who can write something worth reading. Have you read any poems by John Donne? He's excellent as well, though I think he really only wrote poetry that was of a spiritual nature. Check him out!

annat said...

sweet, you have another one?
i read evangeline in two days, sooo sad. you didn't tell me the ending was sad. he's a great writer though. simply amazing.

Michael Spotts: . said...

This is a cool post, Ryan.

From high school and early into college I obsessed over poetry. Powerful influences were Sandburg, Yeats, and Walt Whitman, though I was pretty naive to their worldviews at the time.

Running with your historical theme, Sandburg documented early 20th century American life. Check out "Chicago", "Government", and "Fog", at this link.

Walt Whitman's masterpiece, "Leaves of Grass", is regarded for his blood-roots portrayal of Civil War-Era America. The style impacted me, though thankfully his ideals did not. His works remain highly controversial. A notable quote by Whitman:

"The proof of a poet is that his country absorbs him as affectionately as he has absorbed it."

I did not read much of Dylan Thomas, but the few things I did were soaring in their power, albeit totally devoid of the love of God. This poem is glacial with force and jagged edge, in describing the death of a man from his faithless perspective.

Well...

On another note, I noticed your favorite bookstore is Monergismbooks.com. That's mine too, for selection, usefulness, and their extended ministry. But, for prices I generally prefer www.cvbbs.com. You need to have an idea of what you're looking for, but they almost always have what I want, and I've saved lots of handfuls of dollars now. Spread the word.

R.D. Thompson said...

Hannah,
Seriously...crud is right..."Uncle Walt" put us in an interesting place with his wicked worldview and stupid free verse if you ask me. I'm all for blank verse but free verse? Junk. Relativism pure and simple. I just saw my first Donne poem yesterday. Amazing.

Anna,
The well is deeper than I could ever have imagined with Longfellow. I just ordered an 854 page compilation and it is EXCERPTS from his works...Evangeline was sad, no doubt. I couldn't spoil the ending for you though :)

Michael,
I'm bummed that so many of the greats are so...devoid. They are amazing but I am finding most of them wanting in the area of worldview. Sad. I just picked up some Yeats and Browning (both Mr. and Mrs.) and, of course, Longfellow. He definitely has a flair for the spiritual but as far as I can tell he is simply a brilliant writer of the idyll. I like Sandburg having read him now. Chicago is great, thanks :)

Michael Spotts: . said...

Yeats was spiritual, alright. Occultic to the teeth! He was one of the founders of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. Spook factor five!

Regarding your comment on my blog,

I began "holiness" in 2008 and am halfway through. It's one of the best books I've ever read, in terms of practical exhortation and experiential insight. I believe the chapters were originally written as individual tracts and essays. For this reason, picking up the book at random will still deliver a cogent punch.

As for Calvin, I'll keep you posted on that. I may start as soon as February or as late as March.

I bought True Spirituality largely because there were no other decent theological books at a certain bookstore for which I had a gift card, besides City of God, which I also took away.

Ashlee said...

Donne is incredible. Think Riley, early 17th century.

I would add my favourite poet to the list - Tennyson.

Also:

Wendall Berry
T.S. Eliot
C.S. Lewis
Dylan Thomas
William Blake
John Milton
G.K. Chesterton

And Riley Miller. Seriously. Dude IS a poem.

Hannah said...

Check out T.S. Elliot's "The Hollow Men" and "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock". I liked both of those.

Jefferson Twillsbury said...

I can't believe I fell for that. I even saw that the URL was youtube and assumed some guy was reading the poem on video. Yargh!

Website - 1 to 2 weeks.

And yes, yes I am. Both Brian Eno and The Edge say it's the best album to date.